This post is also available in: Dutch
In order to certify with BiA Doula Training, you will need to:
- Follow both the Foundation and the Advanced Training – 7 in-person training days in total.
- Internships: an observational internships in a hospital (2 shifts) and an observational internships with a midwifery practice (1 day in the practice & 1 birth that you attend shadowing the midwife). You receive an evaluation form for each internship.
- Attend 1 homebirth (this can be with your doula client or in the midwifery internship setting), or give 8 hours of doula support at home before transferral to hospital.
- Support 3 clients as a student doula (including 3 pre- and 2 postnatal sessions) + receive their evaluations + write a concise report + write your reflections. We encourage our students to ask for a fair fee for their birth support services.
- Attend a minimum of 2 Reflect & Recharge meetings
- Complete the Food for Thought and SWOT reflections and submit to your mentor.
- Have a 1 hour meeting with your mentor, in person or online.
- Read all the books from the required reading list for both Foundation and Advanced Training + write 1 review about one of those books.
- Study your training manuals + other training materials that will be sent to you.
- Follow a childbirth education class with a minimum of 6 hours + write a short report.
- Write your final reflective practice.
- Read and agree to the BiA Doula Scope of Practice and Code of Conduct.
- Complete your portfolio.
- Have a certification meeting with two of the trainers (online or in-person) & receive your certification!