Trauma Specialised Care for Birth Professionals
The training Trauma Specialised Care for Birth Professionals takes a deep dive into trauma informed care, sensitive communication and burn-out prevention.
This course is designed to give a comprehensive understanding of trauma informed care (TIC). What does TIC entails and why it is beneficial or even paramount both for your clients as well as yourself, and how to implemented into your existing practice.
The course includes:
- preliminary reading
- three day in-person training
- two 2hour follow-up zoom meetings
- documented submission of course reflections and a case study.
Upon completion of the full course you will receive certification.
We will demystify the notion of “trauma informed care” and explore why it is so important as a prenatal, birth, postpartum care provider or bodyworker to be equipped in this crucial aspect of holding space for families pre-conception and during pregnancy, birth and parenthood.
We will walk you through what trauma informed care looks, sounds, and feels like as both care provider and client. The course will offer you an accessible ABC “how to” on embedding the principles of holding space for trauma into your current work.
Throughout the three days we will clarify for you what a tangible difference this approach and framework will mean for your clients who need this extra tenderness and compassion; and, crucially, for yourself and your wellbeing as you navigate the extra care and boundaries that are asked for.
Attending this course on trauma informed care, communication and burn-out prevention, covers the following:
- Why trauma informed care matters
- What is trauma?
- Biology of trauma, the nervous system and polyvagal theory
- What is secondary / vicarious trauma?
- What is post traumatic growth?
- The far reaching impact of trauma and post traumatic growth on a person’s experience of conception, pregnancy, birth and postpartum / parenting
- What is trauma informed care; & how to adjust your current practice to incorporate these principles
- The basics of trauma informed communication
- What is radical self care and why is it important?
- The significance of acknowledging, respecting and committing to your own boundaries
- Burn-out prevention
- An introduction to embodiment practices for you as a practitioner; four tangible grounding / self regulation practices
- Why regular self reflection and adopting a growth mindset is paramount to your personal growth and the growth of your clients when practicing trauma informed care
The course is accessible for certified professionals: midwives, gynaecologists, kraamverzorgenden, doulas, counselors, childbirth educators, bodyworkers with a minimum of 2 years working experience and/or having attended a minimum of 5 births. If you feel you are eligible to attend this course, without meeting these requirements, send us an email and we can discuss. We accept a maximum of 20 course participants.
Accreditation: NBvD is applied for / Cluster D points for KNOV-members upon receiving certificate of completion (28 hours)
Registration is by booking your course through this website, with the payment of €300,- as downpayment. The total course fee is €875,-, which covers 3 in person days including lunch, course manual, 2x 2hour zoom meetings and certificate of completion if all course requirements have been met. After your registration, we will send you an intake questionnaire followed by an intake-interview, after which registration will be made final and you will receive an invoice for the remainder of € 575,-. Should it be mutually agreed to postpone participation – then the downpayment will be fully refunded.
You can retract your registration within 14 days of the online registration and payment. This is not possible if the training takes place within 30 days of registration. If the intake interview is within those 14 days, and if in the interview it is mutually agreed that you will attend the course, the 14 day withdrawal policy falls due.
The booked training can be canceled up to 30 days prior to the training, subject to a €150,- administration fee. The cancellation must be sent by email to email@example.com. In any other case: no refund possible, also when called away to a birth.
If the training takes place within 30 days, cancellation is no longer possible.
We strongly recommend that if you’re on call, you arrange back-up for the 3 days of the training; because of the nature of the training, you cannot catch up in a subsequent training and if you’d miss the first day, you cannot come to the following days.